Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What's in a Name?

Some people may be curious about the pseudonym I use to post comments with. They may wonder whether it bears any resemblence to my real name. They may wonder whether it has any clever and/or hidden meaning. Or they couldn't care less and wish I would just shut up already. In any case I'm about to answer all these questions.

The name, "Athor Pel", means absolutely nothing. There is no hidden meaning. It bears no relation to my real name. It is a complete fabrication. It was chosen because it almost sounds like a real name but stood little to no chance of already being in use by someone else no matter where I decided to go on the intarwebz whether it be chat, blog, forum, or game.

The only 'history' the name has is connected to a pen and paper rpg. It was the name of a character I made up many years ago. Just a plain vanilla cannon-fodder warrior. I don't think I even got a chance to use him for more than one game session.

I've come up with a great number of character names over the years. Back when I choose 'Athor Pel' there were other names in the running. I just didn't feel like being known as 'Retch Sweeny' for years to come.

2 comments:

ajw308 said...

I've always wondered. Now I know.

Triton said...

You should just say it's an anagram of "plethora", as in "I've got a plethora of crazy skills". ;)